Tuesday, May 1, 2007

A STAR IS BORN!

For those of you who do not know...which I presume is all of you-I have decided to take voice lessons. I love to sing, and usually do it in the car-windows open, as I belt out whichever part of the score to "Sunset Boulevard" I happen to like at the moment. I could be Norma Desmond, Joe-the writer, or a clueless background singer letting us know that an apartment with no roaches would be her Hollywood dream. Makes no difference to me.
I really wanted to find out what my range is, as well as what my voice can do, so I registered at the Old Town School of Folk Music for Vocal Techniques I.
Last night was the first meeting-and I am SO VERY EXCITED about it.
There are 15 of us in the class, and we all looked at eachother tentatively as we began, but slowly we lost our nerves and just let things happen.

The instructor asked us to discuss why we were taking the class, what sorts of music we are into, and if we had any musical background. Here were my answers to these various inquiries:
WHY?-so I can learn my range and see what my voice can do
WHAT?-pretty much anything
MUSICAL BACKGROUND-none

I also informed her that the real reason for my taking lessons was to BECOME A CABARET ACT!!!!!

There was not much singing yesterday-but we did discuss breathing (diaphragmatic and intercostal breathing), how your vocal chords work, and how to create vowel sounds to strengthen the voice. She also stressed relaxation and using the body in order to create strong sound...very interesting!

I will keep you all posted on how it goes...by the way-if you have any suggestions as to what numbers should be included in my cabaret set, feel free to pass them along!-DH

4 comments:

Michael Lehet said...

Your first song for your Cabaret Act should be Cabaret from Cabaret, it only makes sense!

Andrea Knapp said...

OMG I did NOT know this but I am SO VERY EXCITED for you too!

G and I are currently taking photography classes and once they are over I have decided to take Sign Language classes!

I can't wait for you to show us "What I learned so far" on our trip to Canada!

Anonymous said...

DH, you are so hilarious. Can't wait to have you on the show. You need to talk about your voice lessons, among other things :-).

Rob7534 said...

Congrats on taking that big first step, finding a vocal coach, even in a group setting! I used to accompany a similar class on the piano in the burbs, and played for their "final" recital or whatever she called it. She made them all sing a solo.

I can't really give more options on musical selections without knowing more about your likes and dislikes, but reading the post above about West Side Story, I think you should sing Maria! I love that solo. You can even change the words...

"The most beautiful name I ever heard... Migel, Migel, Migel, Migel. (spanish for michael.)

"All the beautiful sounds of the world in a single word: Migel... "

"I've just met a guy named Migel, and suddently the name will never be the same to me!"

"MIGEL"

Did I spell that right? Damn. Anyway. I don't much care for Lloyd Webber much anymore, but am a big fan of Sohnheim.

I'm a firm believer that Cabaret shows should be sexy! With tight outfits, sleek dances, and belting out the Torch Songs!