Friday, May 11, 2007

Does It Really Exist?

In my reading of blogs out there, I have noticed that most tend to discuss their day, or what they are reading, or what movies they have seen. While I intend to use this forum for just such discussions as well, this post has a much different slant. Please bear with me while I lay the foundation for a philosophical question I have been wondering about.
One of my favorite movies is West Side Story, which is based on the Shakespeare tragedy of Romeo and Juliet. For those of you that aren't familiar with the story: two people of opposite ethnic/social/religious backgrounds find each other and fall in love. Knowing they can never be together within the confines of their families, they decide to run away. Fate, of course, intervenes, and the end of the story is that one or both of them ends up dead.
I know-how cheery a topic!
What compels me most about the story itself is the utter abandon the two exhibit with their feelings. They are shy and timid when they first meet, but they realize that something magical is happening between them. Once they let themselves be swept up in the emotion of it all, there is nothing that will separate them-both physically and spiritually.
As evidenced by the famous lyric-Only death will part us now.
Little did they know how true that would turn out to be...right?
Granted, there have been countless movies/books/songs written about love, but in my opinion, none capture the pure joy and passion of Romeo and Juliet/West Side Story.
Now, having been in long term relationships, I understand that life gets in the way, and passion that "burns with the fire of 1000 suns" does not last in the midst of dirty laundry, burned dinners, and recycling that needs to be dealt with, but is it really life that gets in the way?
As eluded to in the title of this post-Does the kind of love that makes Romeo and Juliet so powerful really exist?
If you think you have an answer-let me know-DH

2 comments:

Mrs. TBF said...

Absolutely...100% sure about this!!! TBF and I will celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary in October. Yes, we have arguments, and yes, there are "things" that get in the way...some of those everyday things can really get you down. And, we are quite opposite when it comes to certain things ...as an example, by the end of the weekend the dining room table is full of "stuff" that I've put there and he has to clean up on Monday when I go to work. But..my belief is that true love exists... we have it, and we compromise and work at keeping it fun and alive all the time. Neither of us is perfect, but we make it work...and I would be lost and dead inside without him, and I know he would be the same without me. Love can and does conquer all if you just let it!!!

But, that raises another point ...do you believe there is one true match for every person...or more than one?

Michael Lehet said...

Mrs TBF - that's a great question to pose!